Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cajun Chicken Tacos with a Twist of Spinach!

I love to read Oxygen Magazine although I will never have the bodacious bod that graces their ads and cover... But eating clean is one of their big pushes, and although I really don't understand what clean eating exactly means (I don't think it's just about washing plates and forks thoroughly by the looks of the pictures!) I have been trying to incorporate their "clean" foods into my diet! Thankfully chicken is clean and I just love it!

Here is my take on clean chicken tacos... With some cheats because I'm all about tastiness!


Ingredients:
  • two chicken tenders (Albertson's frozen chicken tenders are my favorite!)
  • a handful -or two- of baby spinach (did you know spinach is more beneficial if you let it sit longer? yep! it photosynthesizes longer and provides greater nutrition)
  • two cloves minced garlic (I still use the pre-minced packaged kind)
  • bit of olive oil
  • small corn tortillas (or flour if that's your fancy)
  • Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's original is my favorite)
  • two pinches of Mexican cheese
directions:
1. I thaw the chicken tenders by running them under hot water.
2. Place the softened (though not completely thawed) chicken tenders in the pan over medium heat.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with creole seasoning.
*check out my favorite brand below... available to you in your local spice section at the grocery store!*
4. Once the chicken is white on the bottom side and sizzling, flip and sprinkle with Creole seasoning again.
5. Once both sides of the tenders are white in color and covered with a little bit of seasoning, take them off the girl and slice into strips (to make them taco friendly!) and return to pan.
6. Let cook thoroughly over medium heat, about 5 minutes, stirring and sprinkling with Creole seasoning occasionally.
** please be aware: salt is the number one ingredient in the Creole seasoning so be careful not to go too overboard. I mean sprinkle when I say it.  If you want more flavor (like I do) just add black pepper to kick up the spice!
7. Remove chicken from pan and put on plate.
8. Return pan to grill over medium-low heat.
9. Add garlic to pan and let cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes).
10. Add spinach to the pan (just like the chard from the other night, it'll shrink down so add more than you think you should and it ends up being just right!
**I ended up adding about two and a half handfuls just to give you an idea of measurement**
11. Drizzle the spinach with olive oil and stir occasionally over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes.
12. While the spinach is cooking you can heat the tortillas on the stove (just to make them warm and pliable).
**Use a pair of tongs to flip the tortilla... or if you like to live dangerously (like me) you can use your fingers!**
13. Put the tortillas on the plate... Top with spinach, pinches of cheese, and chicken!

I have a side of sliced pink navel, or the Cara Cara navel, which tastes like the cross between a sweet orange and tangy grapefruit. Delicious! You can find these at Albertsons in the produce department (other stores might have them but I shop at the same store every week!)

Jason's rating: ...no rating from him today... He is still recovering from having his wisdom teeth removed, but he said it looks good!

My rating: 4.5
I got a little too excited about the Creole seasoning and it was a little (tiny bit) too salty. Oh well, must beware next time.

0 comments: