Sunday, January 16, 2011

Banana Bread Bonanza!

So I had three bananas that I let get absurdly ripe - beyond the point of tastiness - and I decided that since I wasn't going to eat them myself, I would bake them into a delicious little loaf of yumminess! I found a bunch of recipes online and found this one to be my favorite... However, I definitely put my own twist on it all.


ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter, at room temperature, plus more for loaf pan (or use Pam like I do!)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan (not too much more for the pan)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large very ripe bananas
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • package of dried banana chips
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan. (Don't be too excited on the flour or it cooks to your bread and makes it a little creepy on the crust... I found this out the hard way!)
3. In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a wooden spoon, leaving a bit of texture.
(this is best done after a stressful day... or week!)
4. Add the cinnamon to the mashed bananas and mix in to the texture.
5. In a large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
6. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix.
7. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and beat until just combined.
8. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
9. Mix all of the ingredients together until thick and well combined.
10. Pour the batter into the pan.
11. Add banana chips to the top of the bread to add a little crunch (and cute detail!)
12. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
13. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack (or wooden cooking board if you're like me and don't have a wire rack) to finish cooling.
14. Slice and serve with butter.

Jason's rating: 4
He said it would be better with nuts in it... But he just had his wisdom teeth out so I skipped them... Easy to add next time! And if you add a 1/2 cup of pecans (in step 8) you'll be good! He also said he felt like it was cooked too long... I have to agree (but just note, I am still cooking in a foreign kitchen so I'm struggling getting to know the oven... Other bakers will understand - I hope).


0 comments: