Sunday, April 17, 2011

Simply Sweet Ingredient Challenge: Coconut Oil

Two weeks ago I posed my second edition of the Simply Sweet Ingredient challenge... Coconut Oil! I had to think hard about what I was going to do with this one, but it ended up being perfect. I made one of my favorite things to eat ever, granola! (and it turned out so wonderfully!)

Please note: It yields a WHOLE HECK of a LOT, so please find someone to share with! 

Coconut-Almond Granola
 Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds 
  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut 
  • 1/2 cup agave (you can use honey instead if you want) 
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup of coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
Directions: 
  1. Turn on the oven to 350 f. 
  2. Melt the coconut oil in a pan over the stove. 
  3. Mix together the oats, almond slices, and shredded coconut in a bowl. 
  4. Once the oil is melted (since it starts in a solid) add the vanilla, agave, honey, and spices. 
  5. Stir all of the oil and spices together then pour over the dry ingredient mixture. 
  6. Spread the coated oats in a baking pan and place in the oven. 
  7. Stir every 7 minutes.
  8. Let cook until it's baked to your liking.
  9. Enjoy with almond or soy milk! 
Now, the other lovely gals that took part in this challenge: 

Zoe with her Chicken Masala


And for the next ingredient challenge due in two weeks... 

BEETS! 
This one's due in two weeks on May 1st! 
Please let me know if you're interested in participating... 
It's soooo much fun and I promise there's no pressure! 

4 comments:

Zoe said... Best Blogger Tips

MMMM, what a great idea about the granola! I love that we all did a mix of sweet and savoury dishes. Just goes to show how versatile coconut oil is! As for the next ingredient, I am super excited. I LOVE beets!!!

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

Awww, this is so cute and YOU are adorable! I may have to start participating once I get used to cooking more. I would have NO idea what to do with a beet. Like none at all. Haha.

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds wonderful!! And I think I am going to make it this week!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm sorry but you look presh in the beets picture. So sorry I missed your run Sunday :( alarm fail