Friday, February 11, 2011

Whoopie You're Home! Chocolate Whoopie Pies

So yesterday before I started enjoying the Welcome Home festivities with Jason's family for his brother, I decided to make my first ever whoopie pies! They were a little bit messier than I wanted them to be, but that's ok, practice makes perfect!

Although I've tried to stay away from box cakes since I figured how to make one without a box, I steered directly for a box this time because I wasn't sure how exactly to execute the whoopie pie... That makes this recipe really simple, but I will upgrade to completely homemade sometime!


Ingredients for the cookie/cakie part:
  • 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs 
Directions:
  1. Heat the oven to 350f. 
  2. Make the cake mix as directed on the box, but use only 3/4 cup of water. 
  3. Mix the batter together. 
  4. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  5. Place 2 Tbsp scoops of batter on the sheets and place into the oven. (I used a coffee scoop that measures 2 Tbsp I bought at the grocery store!) 
  6. Let cook about 15 minutes. To tell if done stick a toothpick in the middle and they're done if it comes out clean. 

Ingredients for the marshmallow fluff: (this is used in the filling for the center) 
  •  3 egg whites
  • 2 cups of light corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar 
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, corn syrup, and salt. 
  2. Mix with an electric mixer on high speed for 8 minutes (or until thick). 
  3. Turn down to low speed and add in the confectioner's sugar. (I did a half cup at a time to keep the powder cloud under control) 
  4. Add the vanilla and mix until well blended. 
**Please note: This recipe makes a whole lot of fluff, so you're going to have to find something else to use this for during the week... Stay tuned for my post of leftover usage!**


Ingredients: (For the frosting filling)
  • 2 cups marshmallow fluff 
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs 
Directions:
  1. Mix the marshmallow fluff and shortening in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. 
  2. Turn the speed down to low speed and add the confectioner's sugar. 
  3. Add the cup of graham cracker crumbs. 
  4. Add the vanilla extract. 
  5. When all mixed together, sandwich it between two of each of the cookie/cakies. 


Such a yummy little treat! I want to make some with cream cheese frosting inside, the frosting above is more of a buttercream (which I have said before I'm not the world's biggest fan of). But so yummy and the graham cracker crumbs make a delightful little texture in the whoopie pie center! Now I must figure out what I'm going to do with the marshmallow fluff I have! 

0 comments: