Tuesday, February 2, 2010

have my cake and eat it too.

so, last night my very sweet boyfriend came over and was just disgusted. he is so supportive and is not the kind of guy to say something bad about anyone or anything, but last night, he just could not find a single positive thing to say about something in particular... you might possibly have heard of it. the bachelor.

he was just so bothered that any woman would participate in dating multiple men and so publicly. but more than that it just irked him that there are so many people that love to sit around and gawk at not one, not two, but fourteen seasons of absurd dating in numbers. at first, i just laughed and said, oh jason, as your girlfriend i love to hear that, but as a fan i'm disappointed that you aren't into it because who am i going to talk to about this? (my mom!)

upon more thought and a bible study, i got to thinking about how christians "date" multiple things at one time... and how disgusting this is in the eyes of a mighty and perfect God. it must be so frustrating for Him to wait for a one-on-one with us, only to realize we have all sorts of ridiculous requests and wants that are so unimportant especially when given the chance to spend time with the King of Kings.

this is the story of the book of jeremiah. the nation of judah had found other gods that it enjoyed dating and serving... something that upset (and understandably!) our Lord.

"The people of Judah have done evil in my eyes, declares the Lord. They have set up their detestable idols in the house that bears my Name and have defiled it. They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind. " -Jeremiah 7:30-31

jeremiah served as the vessel through which God reached out to judah in order to make His love and His will known to His undeserving people. it is in the book of jeremiah that God gives to His people some of the most positive words found in all of the bible (and one of my absolute favorite verses!)

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the
Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." -Jeremiah 29:11-13

through the example of the country of judah, we must learn to avoid the ways of the bachelor and to set our eyes and hearts upon the only man truly deserving of holding the keys to our hearts. God wants our hearts to worship Him so that He can bless us... but we must participate in that relationship and spend time investing in our relationship with Him, just as we do with anyone else!

let's just enjoy the bachelor instead of being like him... give up those serious relationships with distractions (whatever they may be!).

song of the day:
"there was another time in my life" -relient k

their lyrics are always catchy and every song has some sort of happy ending which is always nice. but something about this one reminds me that my progress is forward even if it happens to be by very, very minuscule movements.

and then, the most exciting thing to happen so far this very lovely year:

baby charlie finally came out to meet us! he is just perfect like a little doll and smiled at me and opened his eyes while i was holding him... just letting me know that he is already a fan of me being his aunt! yesss! so here are a couple pictures of God's latest and greatest creation!


handsome baby charlie in all of his sweetness

baby charlie and his uncles, miah and bubba

who doesn't love baby feet?
sweet baby charlie.
happy birthday charlie. and welcome to the family. we love you so much already!


0 comments: