Saturday, January 16, 2010

compliments

something that i have realized lately is how great it makes me feel when i receive a heartfelt compliment from someone that i truly care about. i come from a very supportive home with two amazing parents who love me more than anything and for many years i have taken compliments for granted. but there has been a change in my heart, and suddenly small remarks mean the world to me.

i had decided when i started this blog that i was not going to be talking about my personal life extensively, but i realize that transparency is something that is very present in the bible. so, with that said, there are two compliments that i have received recently that just mean so much to me.

1. i was playing soccer with a bunch of friends on saturday afternoon. one of the guys in particular is very, very good and can seem to do something magical ever single time the ball comes to his feet. after running six miles my legs were very tired and i felt timid getting back onto the field, but didn't want to be the wimp. i decided to make a couple runs during the course of the game, but one in particular the "magician" noticed and said, "hey amber, that was an amazing run". to have such a great player tell me that i had done well just warmed my little heart and reenergized me for the remainder of the game. he doesn't know how much it meant for him to be impressed by my move nor will i ever admit it to him. but it did.

2. my dad came down about a week ago to have the tires on my car changed while i was at work. while the mechanic worked quickly on the car i invited my dad in for a tour of the office that i work in. as a college student i do all of the things that no one else really wants to do, but i am also given many challenging opportunities that have taught me much about my abilities and myself. after riding up in the elevator and showing him around the maze of hallways that make up our office, i brought my dad over to my office. the glass sliding doors that make up and entire wall have led to it's nickname, the "fishbowl". my office is small and can only fit me with any sort of comfort, and i as a student am one of the only inhabitants of a fishbowl office. you would have thought he saw me in a corner office on the top floor. he looked around at every nook and cranny then turned to me and told me that he could not be more proud of me. my father, the owner of several companies and the brain behind many business ventures, is proud of me, the student assistant in an office at my university.

compliments from someone that is an expert, or just great in your opinion, means the world. my mother who is my oldest and most favorite friend (you will hear much more about her in later blogs) always has kind things to say to me and when they are coming from her my heart just smiles to know she thinks highly of me.

in hebrews paul says,
"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." -Hebrews 3:13


paul could have written this yesterday and i wouldn't be surprised. encourage on another today so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. eating disorders, body image issues, low self esteem, and the likes show how easy it is to be hardened, deceived by satan himself. encouragement, compliments, combats such problems and strengthens other believers from being snagged by self defeating thoughts.

he then says later in Hebrews 10:25,
"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
once again, paul reminds us to encourage one another and its importance in our lives as the Day approaches. as we journey on and grow every bit closer to meeting Him in heaven on His throne we must work as a team to encourage and compliment one another in order to keep the entire team in high spirits.

song of the day:
singing over me - building 429.

this song reminds me of the compliment that we are paid knowing that God sings over us and takes care of us despite the fact that we do not deserve such treatment. this is something that we must cherish, but more than that, we must cherish, and be complimented by, the death of His son, Jesus Christ, who died for our sins though he was blameless and pure. through the death of Jesus we have been blessed with the opportunity to live in synchronicitie with Him from now until eternity. and though it is a struggle now, we will receive the ultimate reward when we reach the gates of heaven and God says "welcome home my good and faithful servant".

in His love,
am

1 comments:

chris said... Best Blogger Tips

to compliment you would seem trite...i am proud to be mom and friend. so much love for you and your ability to write from your heart and not just your mind.